‘Game of Thrones’ fan pays to fly banner over Seattle asking for a redo
Fans across the globe have expressed disappointed with the Game of Thrones final season which ended Sunday, including one Seattle man who paid to fly a banner over the city.
Ryan Geddes put together a GoFundMe page to voice his feelings about how the show ended, and raised enough money to fly a plane with a banner attached over Seattle.
“This started as a stupid joke with my friends and it gained a lot of traction, and here I am,” Geddes told KIRO 7 TV.
The banner said: “Someone rewrite Game of Thrones season 8 please.”
— adampellegrini (@adampellegrini) May 22, 2019
The plane flew Wednesday, May 22 at 3 p.m. See the GoFundMe page here. The quoted price to fly the banner was $695. The crowdfunding effort raised enough from 17 people within five days.
The GoFundMe page stated that any surplus funds will be used for additional messages to fly over Seattle. Many proposed banners include lingering questions that many fans have about the show, such as:
- Why did you put the trebuchets in front of Winterfell?
- Why did scorpions go from overpowered to useless in one episode?
- What is stopping Dorne and the Iron Islands from seceding now that the Unsullied and Dothraki have left?
- None of the characters’ decisions make sense anymore. Make it stop, please.
- I still don’t know who the Night King is, and I’m struggling to find an appropriate medium to express my frustration and despair.
Game of Thrones began its epic run in 2011. Actors were seen growing up on the show as separate stories wove between fictional lands, warriors, kings and queens, dragons, and supernatural mysteries that raised the dead. The show’s finale aired (or streamed) on HBO on Sunday. A total of 13.6 million people are estimated to have tuned in around the world.
But the final six-episode season garnered mixed reviews from fans. Many said the story was rushed and lacked significant character development. Many argue that the personality of the show was absent, lending to the story ceasing to make any sense or match the previous seasons.
Seattle is not the only community to express disappointment with the end of the iconic, epic show. An online petition asking Game of Thrones officials to re-shoot the final season has already garnered nearly 1.5 million signatures. That petition is titled: “Remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers.”
MyNorthwest and KIRO 7 TV contributed to this article.
- Tune in to KIRO Newsradio weekdays at 7 pm for KIRO Nights with Jack Stine.