Share this story...
Gas leak, fire
Latest News

Evacuation lifted after natural gas leak causes underground fire in Seattle’s Central District

(Seattle Fire Department)

A natural gas leak that caused an underground fire in Seattle’s Central District has now been secured.

Flames could be seen coming up from underground through a manhole covering. Seattle Fire Department officials said the burning gas melted through asphalt. Responders applied dry chem to try and knock down the fire.

The evacuation zone extended from E. Columbia St. to E. Jefferson St. and 27th Ave. to 29th Ave, and power was cut to 2,267 Seattle City Light customers.

Fire crews lifted the evacuation order shortly after 3 p.m.

Most Popular