Share this story...
Latest News

911 calls detail events leading to Wednesday arrest of Richard Sherman

Former Seattle Seahawks CB Richard Sherman. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Free agent cornerback Richard Sherman was booked into King County jail for suspicion of burglary domestic violence on Wednesday.

Hours before he was arrested, Richard Sherman’s wife, Ashley Moss, told 911 dispatchers that she needed police at their house immediately, and that Sherman was being aggressive.

“He’s threatening to kill himself. He’s sent text messages saying he’s going to hang himself,” Moss told dispatchers in a 911 call obtained by KIRO Radio. “He’s saying if the police show up that he’ll try to fight them.”

Moss assured dispatchers that he did not have weapons, but he had been drinking vodka and Hennessy.

“He’s not going to be able to get out of the gate — I turned it off,” she said.

Moss later told dispatchers that she was worried Sherman was going to her parents’ house in Redmond.

An uncle placed a second 911 call later on in the night, telling King County dispatchers that he was in his vehicle following Moss and Sherman, the latter of whom was described as driving erratically.

“She’s trying to get away, but he keeps cutting her off,” he said. “He won’t let her leave.”

In a statement to the Seattle Times on Wednesday, Moss said that her husband “didn’t harm anybody.”

“My kids were not harmed in the incident,” she added. “He’s a good person and this is not his character. We’re doing all right, just trying to get him out. I want people to know no one was injured.”

Law enforcement’s timeline

At 11:26 p.m. on Tuesday, July 13, Redmond police were notified by the King County Sheriff’s Office that Sherman was possibly traveling to Redmond. At approximately 1:49 a.m. on Wednesday, July 14, Redmond police officers were called to a residence for a reported in-progress burglary, where Sherman was attempting to force entry into a home. Police say the home belongs to Sherman’s in-laws.

Police Chief Darrell Lowe said there was a “verbal altercation” between Sherman and occupants of the residence prior to the police arriving. It’s unclear who was involved, but four adults were present when officers arrived.

Chief Lowe said Sherman began walking away when he was told he would be arrested. An altercation ensued. A K9 team was deployed to assist in gaining control. Both Sherman and an officer experienced minor injuries.

Lowe said Sherman was treated at an area hospital for a lower leg laceration from the K9 unit.

Troopers with the Washington State Patrol are also investigating Sherman for a potential hit-and-run, stating that he is suspected of leaving his damaged vehicle and fleeing on foot to the Redmond residence after striking a cement barrier to an SR 520 off ramp.

Sherman underwent a blood draw and State Patrol is awaiting the results to determine whether he was driving under the influence. Redmond police at the scene of the attempted burglary reported that there was an “odor of intoxicant on his breath.”

Washington State Patrol Captain Ron Mead reports that Sherman had initially driven his vehicle into a closed construction site, where workers then called 911. He then hit a barrier as he attempted to exit the area.

The left side of the vehicle suffered “pretty extensive damage,” with one of the tires almost completely separated. Sherman drove it until it couldn’t operate any longer. Troopers located it in a parking lot a mile from the scene.

A bail amount has not yet been set, but that is not unusual in this case, according to the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. Typically, first appearances handled by the King County District Court are held at 2:30 p.m. on the day after someone is booked. Since Sherman was booked at 6:08 a.m. Wednesday, his first appearance will likely be July 15 at 2:30 p.m.

Rost: What we learned about Seahawks, 49ers from a 49ers expert

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Most Popular