Shelter in place order lifted for fire at Puyallup storage building
A shelter in place order was lifted Sunday evening for people who live and work in downtown Puyallup. Fire crews spent a second day working on a commercial fire in a cold storage facility that started early Saturday morning.
Residents were able to return home Saturday evening after an evacuation order prompted by the fire. Police say drivers should expect road closures in the area Monday morning.
A passerby called 911 around 5:20 a.m. Saturday after seeing flames coming from a cold storage facility located at 240 15th Street, according to police.
Central Pierce Fire & Rescue said the building contained 1,000 pounds of anhydrous ammonia used for refrigeration. Crew fires were concerned the material could explode.
A reverse 911 call notified 10,000 people in the area of the evacuation. It’s unknown how many of those people followed the evacuation order. Central Pierce Fire & Rescue reported 86 people were sheltering at the Puyallup Nazarene Church on 7th Ave Southwest, which was set up as an evacuation center.
East Pioneer and East Main were fully reopened Sunday morning. The only road closure is 15th Street Southeast from Main to Pioneer. Pedestrians are being kept away from the fire scene.
The Saturday farmers market in Puyallup was canceled due to the fire danger. The Puyallup School District suspended all activities.