Suspect in woman’s disappearance from Mariners game later allegedly attacked her son

Apr 6, 2023, 10:00 AM | Updated: Apr 10, 2023, 4:19 pm

Leticia Martinez-Cosman (left) with the man she went on a date with to the Mariners opening day game (Photo from Seattle Police Department)


Update 4/10 10:00 a.m.:

Days after Martinez-Cosman vanished, her son — who has special needs and is in his 20s — said he was attacked by a man he didn’t know.

In an interview with detectives, her son recounted being awoken by the sound of a man knocking on his bedroom door on April 2. He was not able to articulate who the man was but described his attacker as being in his 30s or 40s with facial hair and glasses.

The man told her son that his mother had been in an accident and that he was going to take him to see her at the hospital. Her son then got in a car with him and “drove around for what seemed like hours,” court documents say.

The son told detectives that the man then got into the seat in the car behind him and tried to “kill him by smothering or strangling him.” The son said he was able to fight the man off, even managing to bite his hand.

The son then reportedly escaped from the car and called 911, before going into a neighboring yard and hiding in the bushes.

Hours later, Martinez-Cosman’s car was found fully engulfed in flames by the Seattle Fire Department, and it appeared as though it was set intentionally.

In an interview with police two days later, the suspect police brought in had “numerous visible injuries on his body, including many cuts and scrapes on his hands,” as well as bruises on his face, arms, and body.

The man has not appeared in court, and bail was not addressed during the hearing on Friday. He remains in jail while awaiting a charging decision from the county prosecutor.

The suspect is expected to be in court Monday around 2 p.m.

Update 4/6 3:47 p.m.: 

There was an arrest from a homicide investigation in connection with a woman’s disappearance after a date at T-Mobile Park.

“We are not ready to confirm whether or not it is in fact the same individual,” Seattle Police Spokesperson Shawn Wisemiller said when asked if the man she went with is her suspected killer. “There will be more information to follow as soon as we can provide it.”

Leticia Martinez-Cosman’s family told KIRO Newsradio they haven’t heard from her since she went to last Friday’s Mariners game on a first date.

Police also said they have found the 58-year-old woman’s car.

John Charlton charged with 1st-degree murder of Renton mom after date at Mariners game

Original Story:

A search is underway for a 58-year-old woman who’s been missing since going on a date at a Mariners game last Friday.

Seattle police detectives are asking for the public’s help in locating Leticia Martinez-Cosman, who was last seen at a Mariners game Friday, March 31, at T-Mobile Park.

1 dead, 3 injured in rollover crash into Auburn home

She was last seen with the man in the photo above. Seattle Police have already identified the man and interviewed him in this case.

Martinez-Cosman has not been in contact with her family since the game, leading the police to declare this a missing persons case.

Her brother, Ricardo, tells KIRO Newsradio she met the man just a couple of weeks ago and sent the photo as a selfie to friends and family. It was the last anyone heard from her.

Liz Latham, a friend who met Martinez-Cosman through their Buddhist group, says that this disappearance is out of the ordinary for her. Martinez-Cosman also lives and cares for her adult son with special needs, who she checks up with regularly.

“It’s way out of the ordinary. She’s so in touch with her family, families, really everything important to her,” Latham said. “Leticia has a son, Patrick, who requires special attention. He’s neurodivergent, and he has special needs. So she is in touch with her son 24/7, always checking on him, and he lives with her, and she had been saving for years to try to get a bigger house for the two of them.”

Martinez-Cosman is a 58-year-old female with green eyes and brown hair. Martinez-Cosman is approximately 5’9” inches tall and weighs approximately 135 pounds.

If you have any information that could lead to the whereabouts of Martinez-Cosman, contact the SPD Violent Crimes Tip Line at (206) 233-5000.

KIRO 7 contributed to this report

MyNorthwest News

seattle sidewalk...

Frank Sumrall

$13M to be owed to woman who lost athletic career falling on Seattle sidewalk

$13.1 million will be awarded to an ultramarathon athlete who suffered an injury after falling on a Seattle sidewalk in 2021, a jury ruled.

47 minutes ago

woman young girl killed missouri...

Jake Chapman, KIRO 7 News

Family, friends of woman, young girl killed during mental health crisis in Missouri hold vigil

Family and friends of a West Seattle woman and an 11-year-old girl who were killed in Missouri nearly two weeks ago held a vigil to honor their memory.

3 hours ago

COPS Spokane...

Frank Sumrall

Spokane to be featured in TV Show COPS’ return, hopes to increase recruitment

The TV show "COPS" is coming back to Washington to feature a local city -- Spokane -- with filming set to take place over the summer.

3 hours ago

boeing starliner...

Frank Sumrall

Boeing Starliner’s return to Earth delayed indefinitely as it troubleshoots glitches

It could be another two weeks before the astronauts on the Boeing Starliner can return to Earth, extending a planned nine-day mission to more than a month.

4 hours ago

darrington fire...

Frank Sumrall

Forest fire burns near Darrington, multiple crews on scene

A forest fire of approximately 10 acres is burning near Darrington, with multiple fire agencies working to contain it.

19 hours ago

officer not guilty assault...

Frank Sumrall

King County deputy found not guilty of assault after allegedly punching handcuffed suspect

Officer Matthew Good was accused of punching a suspect multiple times while handcuffing him after the suspect kicked Good and other officers.

23 hours ago

Suspect in woman’s disappearance from Mariners game later allegedly attacked her son