Can BART just turn off cell phone service?
Aug 15, 2011, 8:47 AM | Updated: 8:57 am

Listen to Dave’s Commentary: Can BART just turn off cell phone service?
San Francisco’s Bay Area Rapid Transit system cut rush hour cell phone service at four downtown stations Thursday hoping to discourage the latest protest against the BART police force.
A group called “No Justice No BART” wants the BART police disbanded over a series of fatal shootings [ — the latest involving a homeless man shot July 3rd at the Civic Center station for allegedly threatening cops with a knife – even though he was described as “so drunk he was unable to stand.”]
Last month, protestors packed the Civic Center Station and shut it down — and so when police got word they were going to try it again last Thursday, the order went out to cut cell phone service…
The ACLU thinks BART went too far, as does BART Board Member Lynnette Sweet:
“We can’t do this. It just doesn’t feel right,” said Sweet.
A hacker group called Anonymous agreed. It posted this creepy message:
“We have been watching reactions of San Francisco. Blocking communication of cell phone devices is unacceptable.”
It then hacked the private MyBart.org web site, and posted the names and addresses of commuters — like Kelsey Poe – who had simply signed up to get the BART newsletter:
“It’s kind of a juvenile thing to do, regardless of what their political message is,” says Poe.
Now, cutting off the phones probably wasn’t necessary, since the demonstration was being organized by passing out flyers not cell phones.
So, a dumb idea. But a free speech violation? My cell phone drops out all the time. And where is it ordained that BART even has to PROVIDE cell phone service?
What IS pretty clear is that posting private names and addresses, and disrupting train service DEFINITELY affects the freedom of people who have nothing to do with any of this.
Maybe the defenders of free speech should mention that part too.
