MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Boeing settles lawsuit from deadly Ethiopian Airlines crash, avoiding jury trial

Apr 7, 2025, 9:53 AM

boeing lawsuit Ethiopian crash...

Forensics investigators and recovery teams collect personal effects and other materials from the crash site of Ethiopian Airlines Flight ET 302 on March 12, 2019 in Bishoftu, Ethiopia. (Photo: Jemal Countess, Getty Images)

(Photo: Jemal Countess, Getty Images)

Boeing has settled a lawsuit brought by the families of victims who died when their 737 Max 8 jet crashed minutes after takeoff in Ethiopia six years ago. While the terms of the settlement have not been released, Boeing reached the deal with plaintiffs right before jury selection got underway inside a Chicago courtroom.

The settlement means family members of the 157 people killed avoid what was supposed to be two weeks of emotional testimony—both sides arguing how much in damages to award each family member.

“I’m happy for our client,” said Mark Lindquist, an attorney representing Aimee Belanger, whose husband, Darcy Belanger, 46, died. “She stood her ground. We are satisfied with the resolution, accountability, and closure.”

Trial not about Boeing’s guilt in fatal crash

The trial wasn’t meant to establish Boeing’s guilt, as the company had already acknowledged its wrongdoing in ongoing negotiations with the U.S. Department of Justice. Instead, the purpose of the trial was to have a jury decide the financial compensation Boeing should provide to the surviving family members for the pain and suffering caused by the loss of their loved ones.

The crash of Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 and a Lion Air crash in late 2018 killed 189 people in Indonesia, prompting all Max 8s to be grounded for two years. Federal investigators ultimately determined Boeing executives were found to have lied to federal regulators about a flight control system on the Ethiopian Airlines jet, called MCAS, that forced the nose of the 737 to pitch downward minutes after takeoff.

Boeing has said it was deeply saddened by the loss of life. During Monday’s trial, because the victims died instantly, Boeing was ready to argue they didn’t suffer, therefore their families were not entitled to financial compensation.

Boeing still faces criminal charges from the U.S. Department of Justice. Boeing pleaded guilty to a charge of defrauding the federal government over the 737 Max crashes in 2018 and 2019. In December, a judge rejected the plea agreement over concerns with a required diversity consideration for hiring the independent monitor to oversee Boeing’s compliance. The Wall Street Journal has reported Boeing was re-negotiating a new plea deal with the DOJ before the trial is scheduled to begin in July.

“This crash was preventable,” Lindquist said about the crash in Ethiopia. “Sometimes a jury trial is necessary for full accountability.”

Lindquist also represents numerous victims’ families impacted by the Boeing Max 9 incident that involved a door plug that blew off an Alaska Airlines flight shortly after takeoff from Portland, Oregon, last year.

Follow Luke Duecy on X. Submit news tips here.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

MyNorthwest News

west seattle shot...

Jason Sutich

One person shot in West Seattle, suspect at large

A shooting investigation is underway after one person was shot in West Seattle, and the suspect remains at large.

3 minutes ago

bellevue fire...

Julia Dallas

Road closed in Bellevue as crews battle fire at commercial building

Westbound N.E. 8th Street is closed in Bellevue as crews battle a fire at a commercial building.

44 minutes ago

missing kent wsp 11 days...

Frank Sumrall

WSP issues Endangered Missing Person Alert for Kent man who’s been missing for 11 days

A 35-year-old man from Kent has been missing for 11 days, causing Washington State Patrol to activate a statewide Endangered Missing Person Advisory.

2 hours ago

tacoma homicide...

James Lynch

Third suspect arrested in Aug. 7 homicide in Tacoma

The Tacoma Police Department arrested a third suspect in connection with a deadly shooting earlier this month in the city’s North End.

2 hours ago

Katie Wilson (5)...

Brooke Griffin, KIRO 7 News

‘It is a high bar’: Inside the petition to recall Mayor Katie Wilson

A judge is set to hear a recall petition against Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson.

3 hours ago

seattle fremont brewery...

Jason Sutich

A 121-year-old Fremont landmark gets new life as Seattle brewery moves in with 3 concepts

The Theo Chocolate building in Seattle's Fremont neighborhood is headed toward a major revamp as the owners have signed on three new food-and-beverage tenants.

3 hours ago

Boeing settles lawsuit from deadly Ethiopian Airlines crash, avoiding jury trial