MYNORTHWEST NEWS

Massive settlement reached in Amtrak train derailment in DuPont

Jun 7, 2022, 11:50 AM | Updated: 3:55 pm

Photo by Stephen Brashear...

Photo by Stephen Brashear

Amtrak has settled for an undisclosed amount with former engineer Steve Brown over the 2017 derailment that killed three people and injured dozens more in DuPont, Wash.

Brown broke several bones in his face and chest during the incident and was granted the ability to sue for physical and mental damages by a Pierce County Court.

The train was moving into a curve between DuPont and Nisqually at 80 mph instead of the 30 mph recommended in the zone, causing a derailment after Brown missed the sign to slow down.

Engineer ‘didn’t recall seeing’ speed sign before DuPont train derailment

In an investigation done by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), the board concluded that Amtrak is responsible for the derailment.

John Hiatt, an investigator with Bremseth Law Firm for more than 30 years, led the investigation into the derailment.

“There were defects in the equipment. They knew that leaving the terminal, and they altered that equipment and still let the train go and they got fined for it,” Hiatt said. “But you know, it’s cutting corners, it’s always about cutting corners.”

Due to insufficient practice runs, a lack of speed control software, and issues surrounding new locomotives that were not designed for use, the court found that the company was responsible for the crash instead of the engineer. The train was not cleared for the track, and the locomotive’s European design wasn’t familiar to staff in correspondence with their training.

“I mean, these guys didn’t have a prayer, and as the NTSB stated he was set up for failure,” said Hiatt. “What are you going to say? No, let some other guy take this job. So Steve’s a very conscientious employee, he did what he was told to do. Just didn’t work out.”

The train has since resumed its route to DuPont, with the train now outfitted with satellite-based speed control software and new crew training mandates to prevent future incidents.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

MyNorthwest News

missing kent wsp 11 days...

Frank Sumrall

WSP issues Endangered Missing Person Alert for Kent man who’s been missing for 11 days

A 35-year-old man from Kent has been missing for 11 days, causing Washington State Patrol to activate a statewide Endangered Missing Person Advisory.

7 minutes ago

tacoma homicide...

James Lynch

Third suspect arrested in Aug. 7 homicide in Tacoma

The Tacoma Police Department arrested a third suspect in connection with a deadly shooting earlier this month in the city’s North End.

16 minutes ago

Katie Wilson (5)...

Brooke Griffin, KIRO 7 News

‘It is a high bar’: Inside the petition to recall Mayor Katie Wilson

A judge is set to hear a recall petition against Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson.

1 hour ago

seattle fremont brewery...

Jason Sutich

A 121-year-old Fremont landmark gets new life as Seattle brewery moves in with 3 concepts

The Theo Chocolate building in Seattle's Fremont neighborhood is headed toward a major revamp as the owners have signed on three new food-and-beverage tenants.

2 hours ago

whatcom bear attack...

MyNorthwest Staff

Horseback rider discovers ‘cut up’ hiker after bear attack on Whatcom County trail

A female hiker is now recovering after being chased by a black bear along a trail north of Lake Whatcom in Whatcom County on Saturday.

2 hours ago

SR 99 snohomish county wsdot...

MyNorthwest Staff

WSDOT proposes $800M transformation of SR 99 corridor in Snohomish County

The Washington Department of Transportation proposed several improvements to a stretch of SR 99 — a seven mile corridor from Lynnwood toward Everett.

2 hours ago

Massive settlement reached in Amtrak train derailment in DuPont