SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

Seattle restaurant owner says shutdown is ‘a very, very scary moment’

Nov 16, 2020, 3:55 PM

Washington outbreak, IDM report, quarantine. reopening, shutdown...

A pedestrian wearing a face mask walks past art by a local street artist, featuring the Space Needle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

(AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

The new COVID-19 restrictions and second shutdown in Washington state announced over the weekend will impact everyone, including an already hurting business community.

Mauro Golmarvi, owner of Assaggio Ristorante in downtown Seattle, joined KIRO Radio’s Dori Monson Show less than a year ago when there was a shooting and increasing violence in downtown, before anyone knew about the coronavirus pandemic.

“I can’t even believe this is the same city,” Golmarvi said Monday. “The last year or two years ago, before all this violence and everything, we had the most amazing city in the country. Seattle was the best place. You have ocean, you have the mountains, you have the best seafood, you have the best wine from Washington state. You’ve got all of them suddenly all shattered, and it’s gone.”

Assaggio was closed for seven months, Golmarvi said. They had recently reopened with limited hours and takeout, and now, he says, they have to close down again.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen to us,” Golmarvi said. “… I swear to you, Dori, I was just crying last night and thinking how is my crew going to handle it again.”

Dori points out that what’s especially challenging is the uncertainty as there’s no timetable, no way of knowing if this closure will have to be extended past a month.

“This time around is going to be worse than the first shutdown,” Golmarvi said. “It’s the second one. You think we should be ready for the second shutdown. We’re not. And we’re just having the hardest time this time.”

Assaggio has been open for 28 years, but Golmarvi is worried about how his restaurant will survive this shutdown, as takeout only operations are expensive and he hasn’t been able to make money since reopening. He explained that every supplier has a minimum that you have to reach, plus the delivery apps charge premiums, and these aren’t costs that can be passed to the customer.

Golmarvi says as an Italian restaurant, he cannot charge steakhouse prices, and wouldn’t be able to live with himself if he overcharged his customers. But at the same time, he has to pay his employees, his rent, and everything else.

“I’m shaking right now as I’m talking to you,” he said. “It’s a very, very scary moment. Very scary time for all of us.”

“I assure to you I cannot even see one minute in front of me,” he added. “I am so scared this time around. I don’t even know what’s going to happen to our state, to our city, to our people.”

Listen to the Dori Monson Show weekday afternoons from noon – 3 p.m. on KIRO Radio, 97.3 FM. Subscribe to the podcast here.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

A Canadian flag flies on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. (Patrick Doyle/The C...

Associated Press

What to know about Trump’s 50% tariffs on Canadian goods that just went into effect

CHICAGO (AP) — After trade negotiations crumbled at the eleventh hour, U.S. President Donald Trump’s 50% tariffs on scores of Canadian imports kicked in Saturday. The new levies are expected to affect about 5% of Canada’s annual exports to the U.S., roughly $20 billion in goods ranging from hockey sticks to agricultural products. Canada’s Prime […]

2 hours ago

A cow stands in a milking stall at a dairy farm in Hermosillo, Mexico, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026. (AP P...

Associated Press

Mexico’s ranchers look north to the US as screwworm ban nears end, in photos

HERMOSILLO, Mexico (AP) — The U.S.-Mexico border is preparing to reopen to cattle exports, with ranchers in northern Mexico cautiously looking north. After a yearlong ban over concerns about the New World screwworm, they hope to once again be able to send their cattle to the U.S.

3 hours ago

Central Pierce Fire & Rescue crews patrolling the Little Giant Fire at night, looking for hot spots...

Tom Brock

From the front lines to home: Pierce County firefighters wrap up two-week battle

Local firefighters battling what may be the largest wildfire in Chelan County history have now returned to the Puget Sound region.

5 hours ago

A woman and child walk past a debris-strewn street in Naalehu, Hawaii, Monday, Aug. 17, 2026, after...

Associated Press

Tropical Storm Moke advances toward Hawaii as winds strengthen

HONOLULU (AP) — Tropical Storm Moke advanced toward Hawaii Saturday, likely bringing more heavy rainfall and strong gusts to the Big Island, where residents are still dealing with the aftermath of heavy flooding and damaging winds from Hurricane Lala. Moke, which formed Friday in the Pacific Ocean, was located about 470 miles (755 kilometers) southeast […]

5 hours ago

This screen grab made from video provided by WCVB-TV shows a police officer standing guard over a h...

Associated Press

Arrest warrant issued for Massachusetts woman sought in officer’s death

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) — An arrest warrant has been issued for a mental health advocate who remained missing Saturday, more than four days after police found the Massachusetts officer she had been married to dead in their home. Karen Solomon, 58, was last spotted in a doorbell camera video, walking down a street in a […]

5 hours ago

FILE - Janie Bradford, left, and George Clinton attend a ceremony honoring Clinton with a star on t...

Associated Press

Early Motown songwriter Janie Bradford Hobbs dies in Los Angeles after illness at age 87

Early Motown songwriter Janie Bradford Hobbs, who helped pen hits including “Money (That’s What I Want)” and “Too Busy Thinking About My Baby,” has died following an extended illness at a Los Angeles hospital, her family said Saturday. She was 87. Bradford Hobbs was born in Charleston, Missouri, and later moved to Detroit. She was […]

5 hours ago

Seattle restaurant owner says shutdown is ‘a very, very scary moment’