SEATTLE NEWS ARCHIVES & FEATURES

King County Councilmember says executive’s budget proposal is a ‘recipe for disaster’

Sep 22, 2020, 5:47 PM

budget...

A demonstrator holds a U.S. flag upside down during a picket and rally outside the office of King County Executive Dow Constantine as part of the nationwide Strike For Black Lives on July 20, 2020 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)

(Photo by David Ryder/Getty Images)

King County Executive Dow Constantine released his budget proposal for 2021-2022 to the King County Council on Tuesday.

Councilmember Reagan Dunn joined the Dori Monson Show on KIRO Radio after he picked up the briefing book, and just before the executive’s budget presentation.

“I got a chance to take a first look at the executive’s approach to fighting crime in King County, and it’s discouraging news,” Dunn said.

“It’s not going to do anything to reduce crime. It’s going to increase crime,” he added. “It’s substantially cutting the number of sheriff’s deputies that we’ll see on our streets.”

The proposal takes 12 deputies off the board right away, Dunn explained, and would not refill the positions of deputies that retire, which Dunn says could be at least 30-40 more over two years.

King County sheriff, executive to meet on proposed cuts to sheriff’s department

“A substantial number of juvenile justice officers will be cut, not refilled, because of the zero youth incarceration initiative, a good chunk of the jail will be closed because those felons that were released as a result of COVID are gone for the moment,” he said. “… The gang unit in King County will now be eliminated.”

“It’s going to be a really substantial problem for folks because as much as I like to hope that people are good, violent criminals, organized crime, criminals with mental illness, they don’t care whether a social service officer is there to talk to them or not,” Dunn added. “They’re going to do what they’re going to do, and our community is gonna be far less safe as a result of it.”

Constantine has previously discussed his proposal to phase out the youth jail and initiative for zero youth incarceration, which Dunn says is maybe aspirational but is a “terrible aspirational goal.”

“We know that there are 16- and 17-year-old young people that are some of the meanest, worst criminals in the world, they’re murderers and a lot of them end up, in some cases, killing people and raping without consequence,” he said. “If you allow that to happen, you’ve got problems. If you decriminalize what we’re doing right now, like for example, a whole chunk of … felonies are now not going to be tried or heard. … They’re gonna be sent over to diversion where there’ll be no consequences for the actions, people are just going to reoffend.”

“If I’m organized crime, you might as well hang a big sign on the Space Needle that says, ‘Hey, organized crime: Seattle is open for business. King County is open for business,'” Dunn added. “… It’s just a recipe for disaster.”

Dunn says without consequences for actions, crime will grow.

“Call me in five years if we keep this attitude towards criminal justice here, and we’ll see where we are in community safety,” he told Dori.

Constantine said in a news release that the investments in the budget illustrate that King County “puts its money where its values are.”

“This year, 2020, will surely be remembered as one of the most pivotal of our lifetimes,” Constantine said. “How we act, what we do, the choices we make, the commitments we fulfill, will define us – not only now, but to generations to come.”

Find more details about Constantine’s budget proposal online here. Follow the council’s budget process here.

Please follow our Community Guidelines

parkland arrest teen dead robbery mexico murder suspect...

Frank Sumrall

Parkland murder suspect faces $10M bail in teen’s killing after extradited from Mexico

The man accused of shooting and killing a 17-year-old boy over a necklace in Parkland last May made his first court appearance Monday.

27 minutes ago

FILE - Federal Communications Commission Chairman Brendan Carr departs an event in the East Room of...

Associated Press

Disney sues FCC over challenge to broadcast licenses, claims retaliation over ‘Jimmy Kimmel’

WASHINGTON (AP) — Disney filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the Trump administration’s Federal Communications Commission alleging a violation of its First Amendment rights. The suit comes after FCC Chairman Brendan Carr on Friday recently defended the agency’s actions against ABC, saying broadcasters have a duty to “operate in the public interest” and the FCC is […]

40 minutes ago

lotto ticket seattle...

KIRO 7 News Staff

$2.5 million Lotto ticket sold in Seattle

Did you buy a Lotto ticket in Seattle? Washington’s Lottery said someone just won $2.5 million, and they’re waiting for that person to come forward.

1 hour ago

shoplifting washington retail theft kent...

KIRO 7 News Staff

Four arrested after getting caught shoplifting in Kent

Four people were arrested Sunday night after police said they tried to steal a large amount of clothing from a Kent retail store.

1 hour ago

FILE - People take photos near a John Harvard statue, left, on the Harvard University campus, Jan. ...

Associated Press

Whistleblower alleges political pressure, lack of evidence in antisemitism probes targeting schools

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Trump administration task force created to combat antisemitism pushed for settlements with Ivy League universities despite government investigations that were rushed and incomplete or that failed to establish legal violations by the schools, a former Justice Department lawyer alleged in a whistleblower disclosure obtained by The Associated Press. The complaint alleges […]

1 hour ago

Defense attorney Volker Klein makes a statement at the regional court in Koblenz, Germany, Tuesday,...

Associated Press

An 81-year-old admits to 1994 killing of American tourist as trial opens in Germany

BERLIN (AP) — An 81-year-old man admitted to sexually assaulting and killing an American tourist in Germany more than 30 years ago at the opening of his trial on Tuesday, German news agency dpa reported. The defendant, whose name was not given in line with German privacy rules, admitted to killing 24-year-old Amy Lopez in […]

2 hours ago

King County Councilmember says executive’s budget proposal is a ‘recipe for disaster’