MYNORTHWEST NEWS

3 teen ‘Kia Boyz’ are free, for now, after judge’s recent ruling

Jan 4, 2024, 2:26 PM | Updated: 7:56 pm

kia boyz...

(Photo from KIRO 7)

(Photo from KIRO 7)

Three of the self-proclaimed “Kia Boyz,” 15, 16, and 17 years old, were arrested after being caught fleeing from two stolen Hyundai vehicles, a stolen gun and drugs on Dec. 20.

Last week, a judge in Washington ruled the Seattle Police Department (SPD) initial stop lacked probable cause and was illegal because police didn’t confirm the car was stolen before the stop was made.

“Because there was no probable cause before the stop was made, there wasn’t probable cause for any of the other crimes,” said Casey McNerthney with the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office (KCPAO).

That means the three teens are free, at least for now.

“Prosecutors argued there was probable cause. The court said ‘no.’ And that doesn’t mean that the case is going to go away. If Seattle Police get us more information, we can bring that additional information before the court again,” McNerthney said.

More news: Burien facing lawsuit over ordinance banning homeless encampments

More on what happened the night of Dec. 20

On the night of Dec. 20, SPD was alerted to someone throwing items out of a Hyundai in Seattle’s University District, according to a post from the SPD Blotter.

When police arrived, they found four male suspects between 14 and 17 years old in or around a stolen Hyundai with damage consistent with a stolen vehicle.

When police attempted to contact the group, all four subjects ran from them, SPD reported.

There was also another stolen Hyundai nearby. In addition, a stolen handgun and “a vast quantity of cannabis products” were recovered.

Two Tasers dropped by the suspects during the pursuit were recovered as well, the Blotter post noted.

Eventually, all four suspects were taken into custody without incident.

Three of the four suspects have appeared in court. A fourth, 14, was also arrested but he has not appeared in court yet.

Calls to SPD for comment have not yet been answered.

Contributing: Steve Coogan, MyNorthwest

Please follow our Community Guidelines

MyNorthwest News

crash kenmore air bad weather...

Frank Lenzi

NTSB: Kenmore Air floatplane was diverting for bad weather when it crashed near Sucia Island

A preliminary report NTSB said the Kenmore Air floatplane that crashed near Sucia Island on July 23 was trying to divert when it went down.

8 hours ago

bellevue fire...

MyNorthwest Staff

3 firefighters injured while battling blaze at Bellevue office building

Three firefighters were injured while battling a blaze at an office building in Bellevue.

9 hours ago

west seattle shooting shot...

Jason Sutich

One person shot in West Seattle, suspect at large

A shooting investigation is underway after one person was shot in West Seattle, and the suspect remains at large.

10 hours ago

missing kent wsp 11 days...

Frank Sumrall

WSP issues Endangered Missing Person Alert for Kent man who’s been missing for 11 days

A 35-year-old man from Kent has been missing for 11 days, causing Washington State Patrol to activate a statewide Endangered Missing Person Advisory.

12 hours ago

tacoma homicide...

James Lynch

Third suspect arrested in Aug. 7 homicide in Tacoma

The Tacoma Police Department arrested a third suspect in connection with a deadly shooting earlier this month in the city’s North End.

12 hours ago

Katie Wilson (5)...

Brooke Griffin, KIRO 7 News

‘It is a high bar’: Inside the petition to recall Mayor Katie Wilson

A judge is set to hear a recall petition against Seattle Mayor Katie Wilson.

13 hours ago

3 teen ‘Kia Boyz’ are free, for now, after judge’s recent ruling